With the Galaxy S20 series, Samsung has made it significantly more difficult to turn off your phone, in contrast to how other Android devices work.
Whether it’s just time for a break or you need to power cycle your Samsung Galaxy S20 to resolve a problem, here’s how to turn off your device using the power menu.
The power button on the Samsung Galaxy S20 is actually the “side key,” a multi-function button by default.
A single tap on the button will turn off your screen, but a long press will not bring up the power menu.
It instead activates Samsung’s Bixby voice assistant.
So, how do you shut off a Samsung Galaxy S20?
Let’s start with the basics first!
How to turn off Samsung s20?
3 Things to do to Restart the Samsung Galaxy S20
Whether you’re using a phone or other internet-connected devices, the restart setting allows you to turn the power on or off of your device in a single motion.
It enables you to refresh your smartphone, which is particularly useful after downloading a number of different applications or updates.
Because of the size of the apps being downloaded, many apps will immediately restart your device or phone in order to begin a new download.
You may, however, perform this action manually on the phone’s body as well.
1. Using both the power button and the volume button simultaneously, restart your Samsung Galaxy S20 by holding them down for several seconds.
2. After that, your phone will restart, first powering off and then powering back on.
3. Alternately, you can quickly press and hold the power button on the side of your phone, and then tap the green restart option that will appear on the screen of your phone, which will force your phone to restart.
5 Steps in Turning Off the Samsung Phone Through Keys
1. Pressing the Side key quickly will put your screen to sleep
2. Bixby Voice, on the other hand, will activate if you press and hold the Side key.
3. Press and hold the Side and Volume down keys at the same time for a few seconds if you want to completely turn off your phone with the keys.
4. When the Power menu displays, select Power off from the drop-down menu.
5. Press the Power off button once more to confirm.
3 Steps to Obtain access to the Power Menu Using the Quick Panel
Additionally, Samsung provides a shortcut to the Power Menu from the Quick Settings Panel of the smartphone.
To get to the shortcut, swipe down from the top of the Samsung Galaxy S20’s display to bring down the notification shade and then press the shortcut key.
1. From there, click on the Power symbol in the upper-right area of the screen.
2. The Samsung Power Menu will now show on the screen.
To accomplish the desired operation, press the “Power Off” or “Restart” buttons on your device’s control panel.
3. If you want to turn your Galaxy S20 off, press and hold the Side button until the Samsung logo appears.
Wait for 30 to 60 seconds for the phone to boot after you release the key.
Bixby Voice’s Unknown Feature
Bixby can also assist you in shutting down your phone.
All you have to do now is set up Bixby Voice.
It is a simple and quick procedure.
Find out the quick steps below!
What Exactly Is Bixby Voice?
Bixby Voice is Samsung’s attempt to develop a voice assistant to compete with Amazon’s Alexa, Apple’s Siri, and Google’s Assistant.
Bixby’s voice is currently in beta testing.
Given that Samsung Phone is the world’s largest smartphone manufacturer, and that the company also has a profitable line of home appliances, it isn’t surprise that the company would aim to develop a speech interface to bring them all together.
The characteristics of Bixby’s voice are fairly similar to those of other voice assistants.
You can use it to check the weather, set alarms or timers, make phone calls, and send texts, translate languages, do the math, change your phone’s settings, or develop multi-stage routines.
You can also construct routines that include numerous steps.
Samsung phones, on the other hand, are all powered by Android, and the majority of users prefer Google Assistant as their voice assistant since it is better at answering typical online questions.
Google Assistant can also be used to open applications and make phone calls, but it cannot modify the settings on your phone.
6 Simple Steps to Turning Off Your Bixby Voice Assistant
Although you may not find Samsung’s built-in voice assistant, Bixby, to be particularly useful, if you want to, you can use it to shut down and restart your Galaxy S20 if necessary..
Begin by activating the Bixby Voice virtual assistant.
1. Hold down the Side button for a second or two until the Bixby icon appears at the top of your screen if you haven’t already done so to remap the long-press action of the button.
2. To start the “Bixby” app, you can also slide up from the home screen to enter the app drawer and then select the “Bixby” app.
3. After you’ve successfully activated the Bixby voice assistant, you may ask it to power off or restart your smartphone by saying “Turn Off My Phone” or “Restart My Handset,” respectively.
4. If you haven’t already, you can do so by tapping the Bixby symbol in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
5. Bixby will ask you if you want to turn off or restart your Galaxy S20 before proceeding.
In order to speak your response, either tap on the relevant button or press the Bixby button a second time.
6. Your smartphone will now either shut down or restart itself.
To switch it back on, hold down the Side button until the Samsung logo appears on the screen.
Finally, you have learned how to switch off your Samsung phone, but what if Bixby’s voice isn’t exactly your type of person?
Okay, I got you with that problem.
What is the procedure for turning Bixby off?
In addition to the Galaxy S8 and later flagship Samsung phones, as well as midrange devices with model numbers ranging from A50 to A90, Bixby is included as a standard feature on all Samsung devices.
Many of those phones have a Bixby button that is located in an inconvenient location near the volume buttons or that has been replaced by the power button, which is often the reason why users wish to get rid of Bixby.
There are three primary stages to disabling Bixby.
You must modify the button behavior, disable voice activation, and uninstall the Bixby Home screen, which appears when you swipe left from your main home screen, in order to make these changes.
Samsung Daily is the name of the feature in recent versions of the company’s software.
For the time being, you can only entirely disable the Bixby button on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy S20 smartphones, respectively.
In earlier models, you used to be able to turn it off, but that was no longer the case after a software update.
In June 2020, I tested these instructions on Samsung Galaxy S20, Note 10, S10e, Note 9, and Note 8 phones, as well as on an iPhone X.
How can you disable Bixby Voice on the Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy S20?
- Go to Advanced Features in the Settings menu.
- Bixby Routines should be turned off.
- Side Key is tapped.
- Toggle off Double Press or set Open Bixby to something else.
- Change to the Power Off Menu by pressing and holding.
- Tap the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of Settings.
- Select the entry that says App Info, Bixby Voice after typing in Bixby.
- To access Bixby Voice settings, tap the Settings tool in the upper right corner.
- Change the setting for Automatic Listening to Never.
- Turn off Wake With Hi, Bixby by tapping on Voice Wake-Up.
- While the phone is locked, turn off use.
- Bixby Dictation should be turned off.
- Change the Bixby Key to Double Press to Open Bixby by tapping on it.
- Disable the Marketing Notifications
- To get the widget-configuration mode, go to your home screen and press and hold it.
- Toggle off Samsung Daily by swiping left.
Here is What we Think
It is in your hands to wield power!
You might not comprehend how everything works right away if you just got your Samsung S20 – especially if you’re going from Apple to Android.
Knowing how to restart and turn off your phone is a vital function that every phone user should be familiar with.
When you understand and can use all of the capabilities that your phone has to offer, you will notice some significant improvements in the phone itself.
Knowing how to restart your phone can assist it in retaining memory, preventing crashes, and running more efficiently.
It can even help you conserve or extend the life of your battery.
This can also come in handy if you have any problems with your phone.
A soft reset, or manually rebooting your phone, is usually one of the first measures
Samsung recommends any problem.
If you know how to accomplish this on your own, you may be able to avoid the inconvenience (and cost) of hiring someone to do it for you in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the procedure for restarting my Samsung Galaxy S20 ultra 5G?
Restart Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G / Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
1. Hold the Side (right edge) and Volume down (right edge) buttons together until the ‘Power off’ prompt displays, then release.
2. If the gadget isn’t responding, try another technique.
3. Restart by pressing the Restart button.
4. Tap Restart to confirm.
What happened to the S20 power button?
You can access the power menu and turn off your Galaxy S20 by pressing the software button in the notification tray, which is the first of three ways to do so.
This menu is opened by swiping down from the top of your device, and in the right-hand corner, you’ll notice a power button icon.
without the power button, how can I turn off my Samsung phone?
If your phone doesn’t have a dedicated Power key, use these options to turn it off.With the keys, turn off the power.The screen will go to sleep if you quickly push the Side key.Using the Quick Settings menu, turn off the computer.On many recent Galaxy phones, a Power icon has been added to the Quick settings panel.With Bixby, turn off the power.