Finding the perfect TV for your space might seem confusing with all these numbers, such as “40-inch TV dimensions.” To give you some insight, a standard 40-inch TV measures about 34.9 inches in width and approximately 19.6 inches in height. Use the distance calculator here.
This article is designed to help those struggling with understanding what these dimensions mean and how they impact your viewing experience. Keep on reading, this might be the guide that solves the riddle of TV sizes for you! These may varied by manufacturer such as Samsung, LG, TCL, Vizio, and Sony.
40-inch TV Dimensions in CM
A 40-inch TV Dimensions in CM has a width of 34.9 inches (88.6 cm) and a height of 19.6 inches (49.8 cm). The ideal viewing distance for a 40-inch TV is between four and eight feet (121.92 to 243.84 centimeters). The thickness of a 40-inch TV is typically around three inches. Here are the dimensions of a 40-inch TV in inches, centimeters, and millimeters:
- Width: 34.9 inches (88.6 cm)
- Height: 19.6 inches (49.8 cm)
- Depth: 7.08 inches (17.98 cm)
- Width: 34.9 inches (88.6 cm)
- Height: 19.6 inches (49.8 cm)
- Depth: 2.91 inches (7.4 cm)
The stand depth will on the brand of TV.
- How Wide is a 55-Inch TV? (Detailed Answer)
- How Wide Is A 32-Inch TV? (Everything You Should Know)
- How Wide Is A 75-Inch TV? (All You Need To Know)
Understanding TV Dimensions
TV dimensions can be a little confusing, but once you understand how they are measured, choosing the right size for your needs becomes much easier.
How are TVs measured?
Television sizes are determined in a unique way. It might surprise you that TV measurements don’t correspond to width, height, or depth. Instead, the advertised size of a television is actually the length of its diagonal screen. This method stems from the era of CRT TVs when the bezel often obscured the edge portions of the screen.
- Diagonal Measurement: The most common method for measuring TVs is from corner to corner – this means diagonally across the screen. For instance, a 40-inch TV has a screen size that measures 40 inches diagonally.
- Width: The width of your TV is another important dimension to consider, especially if it needs to fit into a specific space within your home. The width of a 40-inch TV with a standard 16:9 aspect ratio will be approximately 34.9 inches.
- Height: Similar to width, height can also be crucial based on where you plan to place your television. Typically, the height would hover around 19.6 inches.
- Aspect Ratio: This refers to the proportion between width and height of a TV screen. Most modern larger TVs have an aspect ratio of 16:9 (also known as widescreen), meaning they are wider than they are tall.
- Total Screen Size: To calculate this value for a typical 40-inch TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio, you can roughly translate it into an area approximately 28.2 inches by 15.7 inches.
- Stand Dimensions: If you plan to put your TV on top of furniture rather than mounting it on a wall, factoring in stand dimensions is critical, too – these often add several extra inches to both width and height.
What are the dimensions of a 40-inch TV Width and Height with Stand?
The dimensions of a 40-inch television can significantly vary, however, some common measurements have been observed. For instance, a TV usually has a width of approximately 34.9 inches if it has a 16:9 aspect ratio. The height can vary but it’s typically around 19.6 inches. If the TV comes with a stand, you can expect its dimensions to be roughly 35.47 inches in width, 22.60 inches in height, and 7.08 inches in depth. Without a stand, the TV generally measures about 35.47 inches in width, 20.33 inches in height, and ~2.91nches in depth.
Here’s a table summarizing these dimensions on a TV stand and without:
|40-inch TV (16:9 aspect ratio)
|40-inch TV with stand
|40-inch TV without stand
In centimeters, the diagonal measurement of 40-inch TVs is about 102 cm. Considering a 16:9 aspect ratio, the total viewing area of the TV is roughly 28.2 inches by 15.7 inches or 71.6 cm by 39.8 cm. These dimensions can help you determine the size of the TV for your room or even help you compare it with other TV sizes.
Popular Brands Sold with TV size:
- Hisense 40A4H 40″: 35.2″ Width x 20.2″ Height x 3.4″ Depth
- TCL 40S325: 35.6″: Width x 20.5″ Height x 2.9″ Depth
Best Viewing Distance for a 40-Inch Screen
To fully enjoy your 40-inch TV, it’s important to consider the optimal viewing distance. The ideal viewing distance is typically calculated based on the screen size and higher resolution of a TV.
For a 40-inch TV with a standard high-definition (HD) resolution of 1080p, the recommended viewing distance is approximately 5-8 feet.
At this distance, you will be able to see all the details on your screen without straining your eyes or missing out on any of the action. Sitting closer than this might result in pixelation, where individual pixels become visible and can degrade the picture quality.
On the other hand, sitting too far away may cause you to miss out on finer details and diminishes the immersive experience that a large TV can provide. So finding that sweet spot for your seating arrangement is crucial for an enjoyable viewing experience.
Remember that these recommendations are just guidelines, as everyone has different visual acuity and preferences. Some people may prefer sitting closer or farther from their TVs depending on personal preference and room setup.
Ultimately, it’s best to experiment with different distances until you find what works best for you.
By considering these suggestions for optimal viewing distance, you can fully appreciate your 40-inch TV while enjoying your favorite shows, movies, or gaming sessions.
Our Final Thoughts
Understanding the dimensions of a 40-inch TV is essential when it comes to choosing the right size for your space. With a width of approximately 34.9 inches and a height that typically measures around 19.6 inches, this TV offers a compact yet immersive viewing experience.
Whether you’re comparing sizes or determining the optimal viewing distance, knowing the dimensions of your TV is key to enhancing your entertainment setup. So go ahead and enjoy your favorite shows and movies on your perfectly sized 40-inch TV!
1. How wide is a 40 inch TV?
The dimensions of a 40 inch TV typically vary depending on the brand and model, but as a general guideline, it may have a width of around 35-38 inches and a height of around 20-24 inches.
2. Will a 40″ TV fit in my living room?
Before purchasing a 40 inch TV, it is recommended to measure your living room space to ensure that there is enough room for the TV’s dimensions. Consider factors such as wall mounting or placement on furniture when determining if it will fit comfortably in your living room.
3. Can I mount a 40″ TV on the wall?
Yes, most 40 inch TVs are designed to be wall-mountable. However, it is important to check the TV’s manual or specifications to confirm if it comes with VESA mount compatibility and what size VESA mount is required for installation.
4. How much does a 40″ TV weigh?
The weight of a 40 inch TV can vary depending on its design and features, but on average, it may weigh between 15-30 pounds (6.8-13.6 kilograms). It’s always best to refer to the manufacturer’s specifications for accurate weight information before purchasing or installing the TV.