Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy S24 series will be the company’s flagship phone lineup for 2024. As the successor to the popular Galaxy S23 series, the S24 family is expected to build upon the S23’s foundation with improvements to the display, camera system, battery life, and performance.
Rumored specs point towards:
- A new Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 processor
- 200MP main camera and ISOCELL zoom sensors
- 6.1″-6.8″ QHD+ displays with 120Hz
- 5000mAh batteries with 45W charging
- One UI 6 based on Android 14
With an expected reveal in February 2024, the Galaxy S24 series looks set to deliver meaningful upgrades while retaining Samsung’s proven smartphone formula. The S24 Ultra in particular may shake up the smartphone camera market.
While not a complete redesign, the Galaxy S24 series is expected to retain a similar overall look and feel as the S23 family, with a few tweaks.
Key design elements will likely include:
- Slim bezels with a hole-punch front camera
- IP68 water and dust resistance
- Gorilla Glass Victus 2 display protection
- New color options
The rear camera layout may have minor revisions, but the bump will likely remain. Renders suggest a similar contour cut camera housing as the S23.
The standard S24 could measure around 146 x 71 mm, while the S24 Ultra may reach 163 x 78 mm. Dimensions will vary slightly depending on screen size.
Build materials will consist of an aluminum frame sandwiched between Gorilla Glass on the front and back. Top-end Corning glass protection will be standard.
While the S24 Plus may be discontinued, the S24 and S24 Ultra will carry the torch as Samsung’s premium yet durable and stylish flagships for 2024. Subtle design updates will keep the series feeling fresh while maintaining familiarity.
The Galaxy S24 series is expected to feature vibrant AMOLED displays ranging from 6.1″ to 6.8″ inches, with the S24 Ultra having the largest screen.
Key display features will likely include:
- QHD+ resolution (1440×3200 pixels)
- 120Hz refresh rate for smooth scrolling
- HDR10+ support for vivid colors and contrast
- 1500+ nits peak brightness for outdoor visibility
- Bluelight filter for eye comfort
- Ultrasonic in-display fingerprint sensor
Samsung’s next-gen Infinity-O displays will deliver an immersive viewing experience with nearly bezel-less designs. The hole-punch front camera will be minimized.
LTPO 2.0 variable refresh rate technology on the S24 Ultra will enable the display to scale between 1-120Hz dynamically to conserve battery life.
With expert color accuracy and adjustments via Natural Tone and Eye Comfort Shield, the Galaxy S24 series displays will be optimized for productivity, gaming, and multimedia. Overall, expect best-in-class AMOLED quality.
The Galaxy S24 series will be powered by the newest Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 chipset. This next-gen processor built on the 4nm process promises:
- Up to 3.36GHz CPU clock speed
- Adreno 740 GPU for elite gaming
- Up to 12GB RAM and 512GB storage options
- Integrated Snapdragon X70 5G modem
- Enhanced AI, security, and ML capabilities
With each new generation of Snapdragon, Samsung works closely with Qualcomm to optimize performance. The Galaxy S24 models will leverage the SD 8 Gen 3’s power efficiency and cutting-edge features to deliver a seamless and lightning-fast experience. Expect a 20% boost over the Galaxy S23 series.
Camera upgrades are shaping up to be a highlight of the Galaxy S24 series. While the 200MP main sensor may remain, lens and image processing improvements will enable better low-light performance.
Other key camera features include:
- New ISOCELL HP3 or ISOCELL HP2 sensors
- Optical Image Stabilization (OIS)
- 100x space zoom with 10x optical zoom (S24 Ultra)
- Laser AF sensor for faster focus
- Enhanced Nightography mode
- Upgraded Portrait mode and filters
- Pro-level manual controls
Samsung’s new ISOCELL Zoom sensors on the telephoto lenses promise lossless hybrid zoom thanks to folded optics.
For video, the Galaxy S24 series will offer:
- Up to 8K resolution at 30 fps
- 4K at up to 120 fps
- Improved OIS and Super Steady mode
- HDR10+ recording
With pro-grade lenses, upgraded sensors, and enhanced processing, the Galaxy S24 camera system aims to push the boundaries of mobile photography.
Battery life is a priority for the Galaxy S24 series. Capacities are expected to range from 3700mAh to 5000mAh depending on model.
Key battery features will likely include:
- Super Fast Charging up to 45W (wired)
- Fast Wireless Charging 2.0 up to 15W
- Reverse Wireless Charging to share power
- Adaptive Battery optimization via AI
- Dark Mode to conserve power
The S24 Ultra will have the largest 5000mAh battery and fastest 45W charging. With Qualcomm Quick Charge 5 support, the S24 series will recharge much quicker than predecessors.
Software enhancements like putting unused apps to sleep, syncing refreshing with screen activity, and scaling display refresh rates dynamically via LTPO will also help extend runtimes.
Overall, expect all-day battery life from the Galaxy S24 series, with the S24 Ultra potentially stretching to 1.5 days on a single charge. Thephones will charge from 0 to 50% in well under 30 minutes.
The Galaxy S24 series will introduce One UI 5 based on Android 14. This latest version of Samsung’s intuitive software will offer:
- Enhanced one-handed usability
- Multitasking upgrades like App Pair
- Privacy and security enhancements
- Customizable Bixby Routines
- Improved Samsung DeX experience
- New accessibility features
- Dynamic color theming options
- Upgraded camera app with AI-powered editing
- Deeper SmartThings integration
- Google Assistant voice controls
Additional software perks include:
- Samsung Knox – defense-grade security
- Private Share – encrypted file transfers
- Secure Folder – protected storage for apps/files
- AI-based Smart Suggestions
- Samsung Wallet for digital IDs/payments
- Expert RAW camera app
With One UI 5, the Galaxy S24 series will offer Samsung’s most polished smartphone experience yet, with intelligent features that adapt to users’ needs and streamline everyday tasks.
Release Date and Prices:
The Galaxy S24 series is expected to be announced in January 2024, with pre-orders opening soon after. The global release date will likely be in February 2024.
Pricing is rumored as:
- Galaxy S24 – Starts at $799
- Galaxy S24 Plus – Starts at $999
- Galaxy S24 Ultra – Starts at $1199
Higher storage configurations will increase the prices. Various carrier deals and trade-in offers should make the S24 series more affordable at launch.
Samsung may also offer pre-order bonuses like complimentary Galaxy Buds or SmartTags to incentivize early adopters. Special launch promotions are also likely.
While official pricing remains unconfirmed, the Galaxy S24 series should stay close to the Galaxy S23 series’ pricing, with the S24 Ultra as Samsung’s premiere flagship for 2024. Discounts and rebates will make the phones more accessible over time.
After reviewing the rumors and leaked information on the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S24 series, I’m excited about these new flagship phones, especially the S24 Ultra model. The positives that stand out to me are:
- The new Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 processor should provide a nice boost to performance and energy efficiency. This will really improve the daily usage experience.
- The expected camera upgrades like new 200MP+ sensors, improved zoom capabilities, and better low light photography will help the S24 series compete with other camera-focused phones like the iPhone 15 Pro. The S24 Ultra in particular could have an industry-leading pro-level camera system.
- Software enhancements to One UI 5 based on Android 14 look promising. Deeper automation, AI features, and multi-device ecosystem integration will improve the user experience.
- Faster charging capacities and larger batteries should address battery life complaints some had with the S23 series. The 5000 mAh battery on the S24 Ultra is generous.
However, there are a few negatives:
- Losing the S24+ model means one less option at that price point of around $1000. Consumers may not like having to jump to the $1200 S24 Ultra.
- The overall design staying too similar to the S22 and S23 may feel stale after 3 generations. A bigger design refresh would have been welcomed.
- For some power users, the 200MP camera may be overkill. And 10x optical zoom still trails some competitors. Bigger sensor sizes would have helped too.
Overall though, I’d recommend the Galaxy S24 series to anyone looking to upgrade their Android phone in 2024. The upgrades across the board make it a compelling option over the S23. The S24 Ultra in particular will be a top-tier flagship worthy of its price tag. Samsung looks to be bringing its A-game against a stiff competitive field.