Samsung Data Migration (SDM) is an application that allows you to transfer files and folders from your PC to a Samsung SSD.
It’s absolutely free to use and has simple controls.
The data migration software transfers all existing files and programs from an existing HDD or SSD to a new Samsung drive such as the Samsung 850 EVO SSD, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and so on.
You can also clone a higher-capacity disk to a smaller Samsung Solid State Drive.
The most recent version of Samsung Data Migration supports Windows 10.
*This software may not be suitable for cloning drives that do not have Windows installed.
How does Samsung Data Migration work?
Samsung Data Migration scans your whole hard drive for all files and folders, including system data and drive capacity.
It recognizes the Samsung SSD that has been introduced into the PC and formats the disk before copying the operating system.
All you have to do is select the source disk with your operating system and the target disk with the SSD storage using a simple wizard.
Because Samsung Data Migration executes this operation automatically.
You cannot handpick the items you want to replicate while ignoring the rest – everything linked to Windows system files is included, including the System Reserved Partition.
How to use Samsung Data Migration: Initial Check Up
- Run chkdsk to ensure that your operating system is free of faulty sectors.
- Install Samsung Data Migration on your computer.
- Connect a Samsung SSD to your computer and start the application.
- To begin data migration, choose the target drive and click Start.
- When the operation is finished, safely remove the SSD.
Samsung data migration software download
- Visit the Samsung download page
- Scroll down to the section on data migration.
- Click Samsung Data Migration Software for Consumer SSD.
- Next to Data Migration Software, click Download.
It is absolutely free to use the tool. Only Windows operating systems, as well as MBR and GPT boot sector types, are supported.
What samsung data migration software should I use
You should be using the software provided by Samsung.
Step by Step Process to SSD Data Migration
Samsung Data Migration Clone can guide you through cloning an existing Windows system hard drive to a new Samsung SSD.
It’s not difficult, and you can learn how to utilize Samsung’s Data Migration software on Windows 10 by following the steps below:
- Plugin your new Samsung SSD to your Windows 10 computer.
Start the Samsung Data Migration program (you might need to get it from Samsung’s website).
In the bottom right hand corner, click the Start button.
- The source and target drives will be displayed by this software.
Here, you must pick the boot drive you want to clone as the source disk and the new Samsung SSD as the target disk.
Then press the Start button.
- It will issue a warning that all data on the Target Disk will be erased and will not be recoverable.
Also, open files on the Source Disk cannot be cloned.
So, before cloning, make sure you close all open files and select the correct disk as the target drive, or backup the disk beforehand.
Then, to continue, click Yes, and the cloning procedure will begin.
- When the process is complete, you’ll get a message that says “The data on the source disk has been cloned to your Samsung Cloned SSD.”
You can shut down the computer and install the new drive after you’ve finished with the application.
However, not everyone can successfully clone a hard disk to an SSD using Samsung Data Migration.
Samsung Data Migration cloning may fail due to issues such as “Samsung Data Migration not enough space” or “Samsung Data Migration not working.”
Furthermore, Samsung Data Migration may not work for cloning drives that do not have Windows installed, and it cannot be used to clone a hard drive to a non-Samsung SSD.
Best Samsung SSD data migration
If you’ve recently acquired a Samsung SSD, Samsung Data Migration is the best way to migrate your data from an older hard drive and back it up.
It’s a backup software solution built by Samsung exclusively for its line of HDDs and SSDs, as you might expect.
Samsung Data Migration, unlike other data backup programs, is exceptionally simple to use, thanks to a simple design and plain settings.
Samsung Data Migration 4.0 system requirements
- OS: Windows 7 SP1, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Memory: at least 1 Gb RAM
- Storage: 100 Mb or more for installation
- Partition type: MBR, GPT
- Monitor: 1600 x 900 minimum resolution
- Source drive: HDD or SSD Drive
- Target drive:
The Best Samsung data migration tool to use
From their previous storage device (e.g. HDD) to their new Samsung SSD, this includes their present operating system, application software, and user data.
This Samsung-exclusive software was created particularly for Samsung SSDs and is compatible with any Samsung SSD, including the 470, 830, and 840 Series Family SSDs. This program is incompatible with SSDs from other manufacturers.
When the content of the source drive (e.g. HDD) is cloned, all data on the Target Disk (Samsung SSD) is erased and unrecoverable.
As a result, if you have any data on the Target Disk that you want to save, please back it up beforehand.
Samsung Electronics shall not be held liable for any data loss that may occur on the Target Disk as a result of using this software, and will not provide data recovery services.
The data on the Source Disk is unaffected even if the migration procedure fails.
If you run into a similar issue, try AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, which is another disk cloning program.
It’s a fantastic cloning program that works with a variety of HDD/SSD brands, including Samsung, Kingston, SanDisk, Seagate, WD, Intel, and others. It gives you with three copy methods to meet your various needs.
- Using the Disk Clone Wizard, you may clone a whole hard drive to another HDD or SSD.
- Cloning the Windows operating system files and programs to another HDD/SSD is referred to as migrating the OS to a new SSD.
- Copying a partition to another SSD or HDD with the Partition Clone Wizard.
Minitool partition wizard
What if Samsung data migration cloning failed
You don’t need any computer skills to use this tool for data backups. Furthermore, you can use the Samsung Data Migration software tool to fix SSD migration errors.
First and foremost, you should read the Samsung Data Migration user handbook thoroughly.
You’ll notice that it contains more than a dozen restrictions, indicating when Samsung Data Migration might not work effectively.
You might be able to figure out why cloning failed on your computer and then solve it by looking at these constraints.
You should take note of at least the following to avoid cloning failures.
- The source drive you intend to clone should only have one operating system installed.
- Make sure the source drive isn’t encrypted with BitLocker or other encryption software before cloning it.
- Make sure Samsung Data Migration can work with your target Samsung SSD. Although this program supports the majority of Samsung-branded SSDs, some series, such as the 870 and 860 QVO series, are not supported.
- Make sure you have Samsung NVMe Driver installed on the destination drive if it’s a Samsung NVMe SSD.
SSD Disk Cloning
This software will be the primary choice for Samsung SSD owners when it comes to disk cloning.
When it comes to Samsung data transfer Windows 10, however, you’re likely to run into some complications, despite the fact that the software does a great job with disk upgrades.
Here’s a real-life example.
I’m now using Samsung Data Migration software to clone HDD to SSD, and after about 5 hours of being stuck at 99 percent, I’m almost ready to give up and simply make a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD. But the trouble is that nothing occurs when you push cancel, and it’s been an hour. reddit.com
Samsung Data Migration clone failed issue – stalled at 99 percent in Windows 10 is described in this example from an online forum.
Furthermore, several Samsung users have expressed dissatisfaction with the inability to install Samsung Data Migration. Alternatively, this utility may not be compatible with SSDs from other manufacturers.
Samsung data migration Checklist
Check to see if the Samsung SSD disk on which you want to move all of your data has any crucial data before placing it. If this is the case, make a backup.
This is because the data migration software reformat the SSD before replicating your operating system.
- Samsung Data Migration will not operate if your operating system is not installed on the source disk. It’s not your typical backup program for transferring personal files and folders.
- Encrypted drives are also not supported, so you’ll have to remove any password protection in order to view them.
- Suspend all computer activity during the data duplicating process. You run the danger of ruining your disk if you don’t.
- You shouldn’t unplug the Samsung SSD disk from your computer until the migration app confirms that the procedure was successful.
- With Samsung Data Migration, you can’t pick and choose whatever data you want to replicate. The whole operating system, including the System Reserved Partition, is selected by default.
- If you’re wondering whether Samsung Data Migration is compatible with other SSDs, the answer is no.
- Examine the Samsung SSD firmware update.
Our Final Thought
The software performs an excellent job. You can effortlessly copy everything from an HDD to an old SSD with Samsung Data Migration; simply pick the source and destination disk, then click a button to begin the cloning process.
Depending on the size of your disks, it shouldn’t take long. It’s simple to use and completely free to use.
Samsung Data Migration, on the other hand, isn’t a complete backup solution.
So, if you’re seeking for a dependable program to assist you create backups of your files, directories, applications, and operating system on a regular basis, you should go elsewhere.
Table of Contents